Fees, charges and payment methods

Students for fees and charges page

From January 2015 the NSW Government reform 'Smart and Skilled' will be in place which changes the way in which training in NSW is funded. Some course fees may be subsidised by the Government and you will pay a fee that will depend on your individual circumstances.

On this page:

About 2015 course fees

From 2015, the way that student fees for Government-subsidised courses are calculated will change as a result of the Smart and Skilled reforms.

TAFE Western courses can be government-subsidised or provided on a ‘fee-for-service’ basis. When a course is government-subsidised, the ‘Smart and Skilled' fee applies and concessions or exemptions may apply for eligible students to these courses.

Back to top

What is Smart and Skilled?

The NSW Government is bringing in a new funding model for training, called Smart and Skilled.

The fee that you will pay for a government subsidised course will depend upon your personal circumstances, and eligibility.

More information can be found on the Smart and Skilled website.

Back to top

Which courses attract government subsidy?

From 2015, only courses on the Smart and Skilled NSW Skills List will attract government subsidies. Qualifications that are not on the NSW Skills List may be offered as fee for service courses.

How does this affect me?
• Student fees will change, but will be in line with other RTOs approved as Smart and Skilled providers as the reforms are also regulating the market price of government-subsidised training.
• Students who want to study in government subsidised courses will need to meet specific personal eligibility criteria and choose from courses included on the NSW Skills List.

Back to top

Current TAFE Western students continuing in 2015

Students who commenced a government subsidised qualification after 1 January 2014 and will continue studying this course in 2015 will have to pay a portion of the new qualification fee in 2015. You will have the option to pay your fee in instalments.

  • If your course is on the NSW Skills List, you will pay a pro-rata Smart and Skilled fee to complete your qualification
  • If your course is not on the NSW Skills List, you will be required to pay a pro-rata amount of the full fee-for-service price to complete your qualification
  • If you enrolled with us in 2014 and intend to continue your course into 2015, we will need to calculate your 2015 pro-rata fees. The calculation will take into account your current course progress, remaining units you still need to complete as well as exemptions, concessions, credits and Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL).

Back to top

Am I eligible for a government subsidised place?

Fees will be dependent on whether the course is eligible for Government subsidy (i.e. if it is on the Skills List) and then whether you are individually eligible based on your specific circumstances. The Smart and Skilled website contains more information on eligibility criteria.

You can find out what fee you might need to pay and your eligibility to access government subsidised training by visiting the Smart and Skilled website and using the fee calculator.

Back to top

Fee-for-service charge

If you are not eligible for government subsidised training you will have the option to pay a fee-for-service charge instead. Fee-for-service charges vary and depend on the type of course, attendance mode and course duration. Specific fee information is contained in the individual course brochures.

There are 'Study Now, Pay Later' options for some courses - typically Diplomas and Advanced Diplomas under the VET FEE-HELP loan.

Back to top

Do I need to pay the student fee?

When you enrol with Western Institute you need to pay the student fee. If you enrol in a government subsidised course you may qualify for a fee exemption or concession.

Only when your enrolment is complete and you have paid the applicable fee will you be entitled to attend class, sit for examinations, receive educational awards, use amenities, access services (including travel concessions and childcare places) or receive an active TAFEcard (which provides access to library resources).

Back to top

Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander students

Aboriginal Students who meet the general criteria for a Government subsidised training place will be exempt from the student fee.

Find more information on the Smart and Skilled website.

Back to top

Students with a disability

Students who live or work in NSW and who receive a disability support pension and students with a disability (clients of a Teacher/Consultant for students with a disability) will receive an exemption from the student fee for the first course they do in a calendar year and are eligible for a concession fee for each subsequent course enrolment in that year.

To understand more fully how Smart and Skilled may impact on students with a disability call Catherine Bell on 02 6338 2528.

Back to top

Am I eligible for a concession?

If you are eligible for government-subsidised training you may be eligible for a fee Concession. Please see the list below for applicable Commonwealth benefits or allowances:
• Age Pension
• Austudy including Veterans Children Education Scheme
• Carer Payment
• Disability Support Pension
• Exceptional Circumstances Relief Payment
• Family Tax Benefit Part A (maximum rate)
• Farm Household Allowance
• Newstart Allowance
• Parenting Payment (Single)
• Sickness Allowance
• Special Benefit
• Veteran’s Affairs Pensions
• Verteran’s Children Education Scheme
• Widow Pension including Widow B Pension
• Widow Allowance
• Wife Pension
• Youth Allowance.

Please note:
• Claims for exemption or concession must be made at the time you enrol for the course. It is not possible to change the type of fee you pay after you have commenced training.

Students who are recognised as the dependant child/spouse/partner of a recipient of an eligible benefit or allowance may also be eligible for the concession fee. To find out if you are eligible for a full-fee exemption or concession fee, contact your college before enrolling. Your college can also advise you about what documentation you will need to bring with you to enrol.

Concession and exemption application forms
If you are applying for a fee exemption or concession fee, you need to complete a Concession or Exemption application form and return it with appropriate documentation to your Western Institute TAFE college:
• TAFE NSW Concession Fee application form
• TAFE NSW Fee Exemption application form

Back to top

Can I get help with my fees?

You may be eligible to 'Study Now, Pay Later' with an interest free loan under VET FEE-HELP.

Eligible students studying Diploma, or Advanced Diploma qualifications and some select Certificate IV qualifications, will only need to repay the VET FEE-Help loan when they reach a defined income level ($51,308 per year in 2014).

Don't let study fees keep you from getting the career you want. Find out about VET FEE-HELP.

Back to top

Replacement transcripts and testamurs

You can request a free replacement academic transcript at any of our Customer Service Centres. You can apply for a replacement testamur at your college of enrolment, by completing the TAFE NSW Application Form for a Replacement Testamur/Confirmation of Award and paying the $75 fee. The $75 fee is charged for lost, damaged or stolen Testamur/Confirmation of Award (COA).

Back to top

Payment methods

You can pay your student fee by:
• MasterCard
• Visa card
• Cheque or money order payable to ‘TAFE NSW’.

TAFE NSW does not accept cash. You can pay at any of our colleges.

Back to top

Refunds and withdrawals

See the TAFE NSW refunds and withdrawals information.

Back to top

International students

Fees and charges for International students vary. Find out more on the DEC International website.

Back to top

Temporary visa holders

Most temporary visa holders can study at TAFE NSW. If you are a temporary visa holder please see the TAFE NSW information for temporary visa holders.

Back to top

Further information

Call us on 1300 823 393, Monday to Friday 9:00am–5:00pm or talk to us online with webchat.

Back to top