Aboriginal Education and Training
TAFE Western incorporates country traditionally owned by the Wiradjuri, Ngemba, Muruwari, Barkindji, Wailwan, Wongaibon and Gamilaroi peoples.
The Institute Is the largest single provider of vocational education and training for Aboriginal people in Australia.
Who do I Contact for More Information?
For more information, support for your studies or your business you can contact the Aboriginal Education and Training Unit staff. Full contact details are available here.
Providing Leadership and Guidance
TAFE Western's Aboriginal Education and Training Unit (AETU) provides leadership to the organisation's efforts in closing the gap in the disadvantage that Aboriginal people experience in relation to employment and education.
Strong guidance in Aboriginal Education and Training is provided by the Aboriginal Community Reference Group and the priorities of the organisation or documented in a Statement of Intent.
The way in which the cultural competence of individual staff members, and the organisation as a whole, will be developed in partnership with our Aboriginal staff and our Aboriginal Community Reference Group is outlined in TAFE Western's Cultural Competence Framework which explains TAFE Western's commitments in this area.
Helping Aboriginal Students Succeed
Our Aboriginal Student Support Officers work directly with TAFE Western to support Aboriginal students to succeed in their studies.
Student Support Officers (SSO's) are located at Bathurst, Orange, Dubbo, Bourke, Walgett and Broken Hill and work directly with Aboriginal students providing advice, direction and support with studies, linking students to other TAFE Western services such as:
- ITAS (Indigenous Tutorial Assistance Scheme
- Student Counselling
- Disability support
- Study Assist
- yourTutor online tutoring
The SSO's also work with staff to:
- Provide assistance and support to teachers to maintain attendance of enrolled students
- Promote culturally appropriate materials to staff and students
- Coordinate cultural and social activities across TAFE Western colleges to create a culturally appropriate and welcoming environment
- Conduct college tours for community, school and other groups
Aboriginal Community Consultants
TAFE Western's Aboriginal Community Consultants are responsible for:
- Community consultation and engagement
- Strategic course development to meet the demands of both community and industry
- Supporting TAFE Western's faculties to customise flexible learning programs for Aboriginal students
- Promoting local cultural knowledge and advice and activities to support Institute personnel in observing cultural protocols
- Ensuring that Aboriginal and community organisations aspirations and learning needs are integrated into Institute strategic priorities