Hubs 'Happy Hour' empowers students
Do you need some advice and assistance with studying, setting goals, managing your time, preparing for exams or taking care of your mental health and overall wellbeing?
Every week at your local college Student Hubs TAFE Western’s friendly Careers Advisors will be offering a variety of presentations designed to inform and empower students.
Miss Rachael Buckerfield, one of TAFE Western’s Counsellors said that feedback from students who attend these sessions is always positive. “Students find the presentations valuable and relevant.
“Today’s presentation was on study skills. We had a good mix of students attend from those who haven’t studied for some time to those who have just left school but are a bit nervous about studying at the TAFE level.
“The main thing for students to remember is that TAFE Western offers a wide range of services to ensure they succeed in their studies including YourTutor, a free on-demand service to help students when they are stuck,” said Miss Buckerfield. “It’s also important that students get a good balance between study, work and free time.”
Other tips provided to students who attended the study skills presentation included:
- Review notes previously taken before attending your next class;
- Rewrite notes taken in class;
- Know your learning style – Auditory, Visual, Tactile/Kinaesthetic;
- Use mind maps to get started with assignments;
- Take advantage of all the services available to you. E.g. Library, online resources, careers advisors and tutors;
- Don’t hesitate to ask questions;
- Set goals which are specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time limited;
- Prioritise and plan;
- Have a dedicated study space.
Everyone is welcome to attend the weekly ‘Happy Hour’ presentations at their local college student hub or alternatively students can arrange a confidential meeting with one of TAFE Western’s Career Advisors.
Enrolments for all courses being offered at TAFE Western in 2015 are now open. Prospective students should call 1300 823 393 for further information.