Withdrawing from a Course or Applying for a Refund

How to Withdraw from your course 

If you are withdrawing from your course or applying for a refund you need to complete a Withdrawal/Refund Application Form and post it or return it to your college of enrolment.

A refund of all or part of the TAFE NSW fee may be given in the following exceptional circumstances:

  • You have overpaid the TAFE NSW fee.
  • You enrolled in a course that has been cancelled by the college or Institute.
  • You have paid the full TAFE NSW fee but now receive Youth Allowance or Austudy commencing within two weeks of the date of enrolment or the date of first attendance at class (you will be eligible for a concession).
  • You are offered and accept a place in a course at university or at the same/another TAFE NSW college within the first three teaching weeks.
  • You enrol in a course only to repeat a failed unit/module but are then granted a pass in that unit/module by an Assessment Review Committee.
  • You formally advise the college, before classes commence and with no attendance, that you are withdrawing from the course.
  • You made full-year payment and withdrew with no attendance in Semester Two. You may be eligible for a refund of the Semester Two TAFE NSW fee.
  • The college delegate is of the opinion that you would be unreasonably disadvantaged if you were not granted a refund, for example, if you meet with a serious misadventure and you were unable to continue your enrolment.

Other appropriate circumstances, such as:

  • extended hospitalisation or illness (two weeks minimum) supported by a medical certificate and resulting in extended absence from classes. In this case a refund of the fee for the second semester may be given;
  • pregnancy/childbirth (other than in cases of medical complication covered by the above). In this case a refund of the fee for the second semester may be given.

Circumstances not usually regarded as grounds for a refund include:

  • job change
  • change in work hours
  • inconvenience of travel to college
  • moving interstate
  • redundancy/retrenchment.

If you enrol in an approved Apprenticeship or Traineeship course without evidence of being an Apprentice or a Trainee, you will be asked to pay the full fee. If you subsequently provide evidence that you are an Apprentice or a Trainee you will be refunded the difference between the course fee and the capped Apprenticeship or Traineeship fee.